Everyone is invited to attend our meetings. Our meetings are held the third Friday of each month via ZOOM at 10 AND the first Thursday of each month at 7 pm. Scroll down for more meeting info.
THE TAMPA AFRICAN VIOLET SOCIETY, IS AN AFFILIATE OF THE AFRICAN VIOLET SOCIETY OF AMERICA, INC., THE DIXIE AFRICAN VIOLET SOCIETY, THE AFRICAN VIOLET COUNCIL OF FLORIDA AND THE GESNERIAD SOCIETY
Our meetings are held the third Friday of each month at 10 am.
Notification of whether the meeting will be in person or via ZOOM will be posted in our monthly newsletter, The Petal. We hold our monthly evening meeting the first Thursday of each month at 7 pm by ZOOM.
Program details for all meetings will be announced in The Petal and an email invitation for the ZOOM meetings will be sent prior to the meetings.
If you would like to receive our free monthly newsletters, please send your information at the Contact tab.
Hello, I am so glad you have found us! I want to welcome you to our newly updated website. Isn’t it beautiful? Thanks to Gladys Cook for doing such a great job. Please stroll (& scroll) around the site. There is so much to see and learn about our favorite plant, the incredible African violet.
Speaking of learning, have you been to one of our meetings? We meet mostly via zoom (thanks, COVID), and less frequently, in-person. Whichever way we meet, our program chair, Mary Lou Harden, has arranged to have informative programs that will help us grow better and more beautiful plants. Please note that starting this September we will be adding a night zoom meeting. This meeting will also have a program and a business meeting. It is a great alternative for those of us who cannot meet during the day. I encourage all our club members to attend either the day meeting, the night meeting or both.
Also of note are some major upcoming events such as: the African Violet Council of Florida display and sale in Lakeland October 1-2. The USF Fall Plant Sale in Tampa October 9-10 and our very own club show in February 2022. These events are opportunities for us to strut our stuff individually and as a club as we go out into the community championing our favorite plant, the African violet.
Keep growing and showing,
Mary Beth Bryant
Tampa African Violet Society sponsors the following projects as part of our mission to educate members and to “violet-ize” our neighbors near and far:
· Maintains a library for members’ use
· Orders growing supplies for members’ benefit
· Sponsors a group project that may be the cultivation of a plant or leaf cuttings
-Raffles one or more African violet plants at each meeting
· Sponsors an AVSA-judged annual show
· Provides awards for AVSA, DAVS and AVCF annual shows
· Provides an annual subscription to The African Violet Magazine to the Hillsborough County Public Library, Downtown Tampa branch
· Sponsors periodic judging schools
· Sponsors an African violet display at the Florida State Fair
· Participates in the USF Botanical Gardens Spring and Fall Plant Festivals
· Provides speakers for programs, including display of African violets, for local clubs, civic organizations, retirement homes and television programs
· Is an affiliate of the African Violet Society of America, Inc. (AVSA), Dixie African Violet Society (DAVS), the African Violet Council of Florida (AVCF, and the Gesneriad Society (GS)
History of the Tampa African Violet Society